Tuesday, March 19, 2013

NYC

I went to New York City last week during Spring Break with some people from the art department at UVU. It was such a fun trip, not to mention inspiring. We visited with some amazing artists: Donato Giancola, Burton Silverman, Brad Holland, and Marshall Harrison. They were each so different and I learned a ton. Here are some photos of the trip. 

Burton Silverman- He's an 84 year old man who still paints. Most of his pieces are regular joes and portraits. 

Marshall Harrison-He had a ton of sculpted monkeys all around his studio. He also does oil crayon drawings that are inspired by cave paintings...drawings on top of drawings, with rainbows thrown in. I'll try to post some more when I get the pics with me.


Awesome street art!

Lord of the Rings-Donato Giancola

Donato's home. What I love about Donato (other than his artwork) is the fact that he has a family and still is a family man. It seems like so many artists are so married to their artwork that it consumes their lives. Donato had toys in corners at his house and drawings done by his children. He spoke in a lecture at BYU last year, and he told us that he treats his art as a regular job, which I really expect. He works from "9-5" but after 5pm he puts away his art and he spends time with his kids and wife. 

Dead Mermaid-Donato Giancola

Me and my friend Natalie in Donato's Studio.(PS that's Donato in the yellow)

Donato's workspace

This is the mural on the ceiling at the Rockefeller. I thought it was awesome because it's got men using the pillars as their stepping stones.

No comments:

Post a Comment